Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Self-Portrait #332


I took a break from work today to watch the inauguration of President Barack Obama. I couldn't quit smiling and at times crying. I do feel really hopeful about his presidency but I also feel very relieved to have Bush out of the White House. I didn't return to work until I watched Bush fly away in the helicopter that was driven by a helicopter driver(watch Bush's last press conference).
I believe in what Obama said in his speech today. We will be remembered for what we build not by what we destroy. We must take responsibility for the state of our country, environment, our neighbors, and our economy. These are the reasons I believe in the work that I do at my job and in the community. I've always felt a responsibility to help other people and I hope that his example spreads to others. It is strange to realize that we are in the middle of a historic moment, that one day we will tell our kids, kids about today. Sometimes I worry that people are getting more corrupt as time goes on, that our society is really messed up but then I realize that our country used to support slavery and with hearts, minds, and a lot of fighting our society over threw that fucked up system and now a black man is in the White House, a house once built by slaves. I guess it's not just him that I believe in but all of the people that he represents; all of the voters, volunteers, campaign workers. People keep talking about him not living up to his hype but he will if all of the people that brought him to the White House keep working in the community now that he's there.


P.S. I also have my eyes on this young future candidate.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I know what you're doing in this pic and your look captures the moment perfectly:)

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad everyone is finally happy for a while - I like harmony. But I still have no faith in humanity and I don't trust any politician. I guess I'm kind of bitter in my "old" age :)