Sunday, July 6, 2008

Self-Portrait #134

New sketchbook!!!! It's been a while since I've gotten to start a new one of these. I almost forgot my tradition of making a little pocket in the front cover for this photo of my grandmother. I've been doing it for the last several years after coming across this picture of her standing on the Statue of Liberty. I remember her going to New York when I was in the 3rd of 4th grade. She is one of the first people who made me wonder about the world and I remember having this romantic notion that I would some day visit NYC and take a picture in this exact spot just like her. When I found this pic a few years ago I decided that I actually wanted to do that and I also loved this stoic photo of her. I am sad to say that I've now been to NYC nearly a dozen times and I've yet to get that picture taken but next time I will damn it. What is most striking about this picture is the World Trade Center in the background and how I never really will capture this photo exactly. Everything changes.
This is an odd looking self-portrait but something about it captures my mood this afternoon. I've been a little grouchy. I think I began to come down from my three day weekend high around three o'clock. I did finally get in the groove of cleaning my studio today. I've moved a few things around to give myself more room and I have a new scanner which I'm pretty excited about. I've yet to figure it out but I'm sure to do that this week.

No comments: