Monday, July 7, 2008

I'm Glad I Don't Have To Do That Again.

Last week Floresita challenged a few people to post some high school pictures of themselves. You wouldn't be able to tell it from this blog but i generally hate pictures of myself especially pictures from my odd high school years. I haven't pulled out my photos in a long time so I had a great trip to the past and I came out of that trip relieved that I don't have to do high school again. I do have that dream from time to time that I've found myself back in high school and I spend the whole dream trying to explain to people that there must be some mistake because I have already graduated from college much less high school. Torture.

This is a picture of me with Jeramiah, my Royalty date from freshman year. I'm all of 14 here. I later that year became best friends with his sister Meri who is still hanging in there as my bff and lives about two blocks from me. They sort of have the same face. What cracks me up about this picture is how completely awkward I look, like I must have fallen forward right after the picture was taken and how perfectly mushroom shaped my hair is. This is before hair dressers discovered thinning the hair. The sad attempt at decoration is also stunning.

This picture illustrates how I still sort of look the same yet my pencil arms are now well insulated as is my face. That and I just realized that my hair cut is nearly the same. Time for a hair appointment. I'm also wearing a silky shirt. This is Miguel. He was my favorite dude in high school and I'm pretty sure he came out of the womb looking like a 35 year old. He is one of the best artists that I know, I'm pretty sure he came out of the womb with that ability too. Hi Miguel!
I on the other hand struggle to make a decent drawing of myself after neglecting my tiny bit of talent for so long...Self-Portrait #135.

3 comments:

Steve sculpts critters said...

I reckon you'd like John Singer Sargent's charcoal portraits.
I think Dover did a book of them (or some other publisher, it's a letter size soft cover thin book, well worth it's weight in gold I'd say).

Anonymous said...

The dance pic decorations are truly priceless. I will have to find my pic from our Junior year formal because I helped pick out the decorations and I bet they are choice.

floresita said...

You look gorgeous! ha ha, I am surely the ugly duckling out of everyone I challenged! :) Oh, and mushroom hair totally rocks - I have rocked the mushroom do numerous times in my life... :)

One day, if I am not afraid, I might do the prom pic... :)