Friday, February 29, 2008

Self-Portrait #6


I swear when I decided to do this I had all of these great ideas and then I did two...and I got sick, boring and forgot all of my ideas. I'm still pushing ahead. I really hated #5 so I see #6 as an improvement but I still feel like I'm barely functioning above the artistic level of an 8th grader.

Tonight, while trying to drown out Bad Veins practice with my new favorite album, She and Him: Volume One, I played around with my old watercolor pencils for a 4x6 self-portrait which accomplishes two goals at once!




Back to She and Him. I've been having a hard time being impressed by new music lately so this record is a breath of fresh air. Some of the tracks remind me of the "oldies" that my best friend Sarah and I used to listen to while driving with her mom tapping her thumbs on her steering wheel when we were in middle school. Zooey Deschenel,you may remember her voice from movie Elf, has that sweet nostalgic voice that is reminiscent of singers like Peggy Lee or Dusty Springfield. My favorite track on the record is a cover of Smokey Robinson's song You've Really Got a Hold On Me. Her collaborator on the album, M.Ward another favorite musician of mine, duets with her on this song and it just sounds like a lazy, tired summer night which I love. I also adore the cover art.

1 comment:

carolyn said...

They're all good likenesses. I'm impressed.

Will you be MY constant?