Sunday, August 12, 2007

I found my sketchbook and I like flowers!


I've been missing my sketchbook for a while now, mostly because I've been neglecting it and it was misplaced. It was funny to open it and discover sketches that I had forgotten about. These were done in May while I was in South Carolina visiting my sister. I had some quiet evenings to myself after everyone had gone to bed and that gave me a chance to get back into my journal for a bit. The first one is a is a sketch of my suitcase.
This sketch is a self-portrait. My sketchbook has gotten smaller since I've tried to make it more portable. I used to always have an 81/2 by 11 sketch book but it just wasn't' fitting into my life anymore. The smaller sketchbook is good for writing but not so much for drawing until I started opening it up all the way and drawing across both pages. It's really nice that way and it's a nice surprise to open a small sketchbook and find a big drawing. Anyways...enjoy, hopefully there will be more sketchbook entries to come. My sentence structure is much like a six year olds today. Sorry.
This has nothing to do with my sketchbook except for the fact that I took the picture because I was outside trying to get good lighting for the sketchbook photos. So yeah, this is what I wait for every year. This flower has the best color ever. My neighbor Cathy gets these Canna Lily bulbs for me every year to plant, mostly because I forget to dig them up and they freeze in the winter. The colors are so brilliant I can't even stand it.

2 comments:

brooke t. higgins said...

That's an awesome self portrait, and a gorgeous flower shot. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I love your drawings...always wondered what you pack in your suitcase. I think your self portrait kind of also looks like Stephanie. If I did a self portrait it would not look anything like me - actually it would probably not even look human - the drawing gene skipped me. Anyway - love your flowers and your sketches!